Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire [Juniper's]
Name of QuestionnaireAsthma Quality of Life Questionnaire (AQLQ)
DescriptionA disease-specific health-related quality of life instrument developed by E. Juniper and colleagues that taps both physical and emotional impact of disease. The instrument should not be confused with the measure developed by Marks and colleagues, which carries the same name.
Developer(s)E Juniper, G Guyatt, P Ferrie, L Griffith 2
AddressElizabeth Juniper MCSP Msc
20 Marcuse Fields
Bosham, West Sussex
PO18 8NA, England
Tel: +44 1243 572124; Fax: +44 1243 573680
Cost & availabilityNot reported.
Time to completeNot reported.
Number of itemsNot reported.
Domains & categories (#)Not reported.
Name of categories/domainsSymptoms, emotions, exposure to environmental stimuli, activity limitation
Scaling of items7-point Likert scale
ScoringAll items are weighted equally. Mean score is calculated across all items within each domain. Overall score is the mean across all items.
|b. Internal Consistency:
||Reported 2, 3
ValidityEstablished by comparison to conventional clinical asthma measures (symptoms, peak flow rates, medication use, PFT, airway responsiveness, global rating of asthma), generic HRQL measures (Rand; SIP)2,3, clinical sensibility of the measure6; symptoms & clinical efficacy13
ResponsivenessReported4,13; minimal important difference determined to be 0.5. Change of 1.0 represents a moderate change; change greater than 2.0 represents large change.
Minimally important differenceReflected by a change in score of 0.5 on a seven point scale 4 .
Research UseYes, including clinical trials 8-11, 14, 15, 17, 18
Clinical UseShort version for clinical use has been developed: MiniAQLQ
AQLQ-S (Standardized version)
Juniper EF, Buist AS, Cox FM, Ferrie PJ, King DR. Validation of a standardized version of the Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire. Chest 1999; 115, 5: 1265-1270.
Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Cox FM, Ferrie PJ, King DR. Development and validation of the Mini Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire. Eur Respir J. 1999;14:32-8.
Original: English (Canada)
More than 30 translations are available; please see Professor Juniper's website for a complete list.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Epstein RS, Ferrie PJ, Jaeschke R, Hiller TK. Evaluation of impairment of health-related quality of life in asthma: development of a questionnaire for use in clinical trials. Thorax 1992;47:76-83.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Ferrie PJ, Griffith LE. Measuring quality of life in asthma. Am Rev Respir Dis 1993;127:832-838.
- Rowe BH, Oxman AD. Performance of an asthma quality of life questionnaire in an outpatient setting. Am Rev Respir Dis 1993; 148: 675-681.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Willan A, Griffith LE. Determining a minimal important change in a disease-specific quality of life questionnaire. J Clin Epidemiol 1994; 47: 81-87.
- Barber BL, Santanello NC, Epstein RS. Impact of the global on patient perceivable change in an asthma specific QOL instrument. Quality of Life Res 1996; 115-122.
- Rowe BH, Oxman AD. An assessment of the sensibility of a quality of life instrument. Am J Emerg Med 1993; 11: 374-380.
- Cook DJ, Guyatt GH, Juniper E, Griffith L, McIroy W, Willan A, Jaeschke R, Epstein R. Interviewer versus self-administered questionnaires in developing a disease-specific, health- related quality of life instrument for asthma. J Clin Epidemiol 1993;6: 529-534.
- Juniper EF, Johnston PR, Borkhoff CM, Guyatt GH, Boulet LP, Haukioja. Quality of life in asthma clinical trials: comparison of salmeterol and salbutamol. Am J Respir Care Med 1995;151(1):66-70.
- Rutten-van Molken, van Doorslaer EKA, Jansen MCC et al. Costs and effects of inhaled corticosteroids and bronchodilators in asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995;151:975-82.
- Drazen JM, Israel E, Boushey HM et al. Comparison of regularly scheduled with as-needed use of albuterol in mild asthma. N Engl J Med 1996;335:841-847.
- Israel E, Cohn J, Dube L, Drazen JM. Effect of treatment with zileuton, a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor in patients with asthma. JAMA 1996;275:931-936.
- Gibson PG. Talbot PI, Toneguzzi RC, Population Medicine Group 91C. Self-management, autonomy, and quality of life in asthma. Chest 1995;107(4):1003-1008.
- Rutten-van MÃ¶lken M, Custers F, Van Doorslaer E, Jansen C, Heurman L, Maesen F, Smeets J, Bommer A, Raaijmakers J. Comparison of performance of four instruments in evaluating the effects of salmeterol on asthma quality of life. Eur Respir J 1995;8:888-898.
- Boulet L, Boutin H, Cote J, Leblanc P, Laviolette M. Evaluation of an asthma self-management education program. J Asthma 1995;32(3):199-206.
- Apter A, Reisine S, Willard A, Clive J, Wells M, Metersky M, McNally D, ZuWallack R. The effect of inhaled albuterol in moderate to severe asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1996;98:295-301.
- Leroyer C, Lebrun T, Proust A, Lenne X, Lucas E, Rio G, Dewitte J-D, Clavier J. Knowledge, self-management, compliance and quality of life in asthma: a cross-sectional study of the French version of the Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire. Qual Life Res 1988;7:267-72.
- Kemp JP, Cook DA, Incaudo GA, Corren J, Kalberg C, Emmett A, Cox FM, Rickard K, Salmeterol Quality of Life Study Group. Salmeterol improves quality of life in patients with asthma requiring inhaled corticosteroids. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1998;101:188-95.
- Turner MO, Taylor D, Bennett R, Fitzgerald JM. A randomized trial comparing peak expiratory flow and symptom self-management plans for patients with asthma attending a primary care clinic. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998;157:540-6.
Date of information