European Organization for the Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire and Lung Cancer Module (QLQ-LC13)
Name of Questionnaire
European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire Lung Cancer Module (EORTC QLQ-LC13)
Supplementary lung cancer-specific questionnaire to be used in conjunction with the QLQ-C30 . Both questionnaires developed and validated in patients with lung cancer 1 . Designed for use in an international context.
EORTC Quality of Life Study Group
Quality of Life Unit
EORTC Data CenterAvenue
E. Mounier 83, Bte 11B-1200
Tel: +32 2 774 16 06
Fax: +32 2 779 45 68
Cost & availability
Free for university research, fee for use in pharmaceutical company research
Time to complete
under 10 minutes
Number of items
Domains & categories
Name of categories/domains
Lung cancer-related symptoms, treatment side effects
Scaling of items
1 (Not at all) to 4 (Very much)
0 to 100. Higher scores represent increasing symptom levels.
|a. Test-retest/ reproducibility
|b. Internal consistency
||Reported for dyspnea scale 2
Symptom scale of instrument distinguished between patients with differing performance status 2 .
Reported, to an extent 2
Minimally important difference
Reported â€“ chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer3.
With QLQ-C30: Reported â€“ MVP chemotherapy in small cell lung cancer4, paclitaxel-cisplatin vs. cisplatin-teniposide in advanced non-small cell lung cancer5, early vs. late alternating chemotherapy in small cell lung cancer6, chemotherapy in advanced small cell lung cancer7, predictive value of initial prognostic factors in quality of life in small cell lung cancer8, paclitaxel and carboplatin in non-small cell lung cancer9, quality of life in advanced non-small cell lung cancer10, supportive care vs. supportive care plus chemotherapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer11.
Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish. Pending: Czech, Polish, Portuguese
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1993; 85:365-76.
- Bergman B, Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Kaasa S, Sullivan M. The EORTC QLQ-LC13: a modular supplement to the EORTC Core Quality of Life Questionnaire (QLQ-C30) for use in lung cancer clinical trials. Eur J Cancer 1994; 30A:635-42.
- Dancey J, Zee B, Osoba D, et al. Quality of life scores: an independent prognostic variable in a general population of cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. The National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group. Qual Life Res 1997; 6:151-8.
- Kosty MP, Fleishman SB, Herndon JE, 2nd, et al. Cisplatin, vinblastine, and hydrazine sulfate in advanced, non-small cell lung cancer: a randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind phase III study of the Cancer and Leukemia Group B. J Clin Oncol 1994; 12:1113-20.
- Hickish TF, Smith IE, Nicolson MC, et al. A pilot study of MVP (mitomycin-C, vinblastine and cisplatin) chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer 1998; 77:1966-70.
- Giaccone G, Splinter TA, Debruyne C, et al. Randomized study of paclitaxel-cisplatin versus cisplatin-teniposide in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lung Cancer Cooperative Group. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:2133-41.
- Joss RA, Bacchi M, Hurny C, et al. Early versus late alternating chemotherapy in small-cell lung cancer. Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK). Ann Oncol 1995; 6:157-66.
- Joss RA, Alberto P, Hurny C, et al. Quality versus quantity of life in the treatment of patients with advanced small-cell lung cancer? A randomized phase III comparison of weekly carboplatin and teniposide versus cisplatin, adriamycin, etoposide alternating with cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, vincristine and lomustine. Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK). Ann Oncol 1995; 6:41-8.
- Bernhard J, Hurny C, Bacchi M, et al. Initial prognostic factors in small-cell lung cancer patients predicting quality of life during chemotherapy. Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK). Br J Cancer 1996; 74:1660-7.
- Kosmidis P, Mylonakis N, Fountzilas G, et al. Paclitaxel (175mg/m2) plus carboplatin versus paclitaxel (225 mg/m2) plus carboplatin in non-small cell lung cancer: a randomized study. Semin Oncol 1997; 24:S12-30-S12-33.
- Herndon JE, 2nd, Fleishman S, Kosty MP, et al. A longitudinal study of quality of life in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) 8931. Control Clin Trials 1997; 18:286-300.
Date of information